SANFORD, Fla. – The Becker baseball team fell to the Falcons of Fitchburg State by scores of 6-3 and 11-2 in Sunday RussMatt Invitational play at Sanford Memorial Stadium.
March 10, 2019
Sanford Memorial Stadium
Records: Fitchburg State (5-1) | Becker (0-5)
GAME ONE: Fitchburg State 6, Becker 3
A six-run inning helped the Falcons defeat Becker College by a score of 6-3 in game one.
Becker attained a 3-0 lead in the first two innings. Evan Barrera (West Warwick, R.I.) led off the scoring as he hit an RBI single through the left side to send Tanyon Ventres (Holden, Mass.) home. Michael Bianco (Manorville, N.Y.) then scored on a passed ball to put the Hawks up 2-0 in the first. He then hit an RBI single in the second inning.
Fitchburg State had a huge second inning, as they amassed six runs on five hits, including a two-run shot from Nichoals Cordeau (Melrose, Mass.) to pull ahead 6-3.
Becker's relief pitchers Tyler Kaye (Rockaway, N.J.) and Payton Musco (Litchfield, N.H.) came in clutch as they held off the Falcons for the remainder of the game. Kaye pitched four innings in his first collegiate appearance and only allowed two hits while striking out four batters. Musco closed the game out and didn't allow a single hit in his first appearance this season.
- Fitchburg State's Cordeau and Matthew Pingitore (Rutland, Mass.) each had two hits, two RBI and a run for the Falcons.
- Becker's Bianco batted 3-for-4 with one run and one RBI.
- Noah Rivera (New Bedford, Mass.), Barrera, and Willis Pollard (Worthington, Mass.) accounted for the other Hawk hits.
- Becker's Jack Snyder (Shrewsbury, Mass.) took the loss on the mound, while Fitchburg's Aidan Ward (Dunstable, Mass.) received the win and Shaun Gamelin (West Kingstown, R.I.) earned the save.
GAME TWO: Fitchburg State 11, Becker 2
Becker dropped game two of the day as Fitchburg State scored 11 runs on eight hits and five Becker fielding errors. Becker posted two runs on five hits and one error.
The Hawks put up a run early when Mel Gonzalez (Worcester, Mass.) scored on a wild pitch. However, in the top of the second inning, the Falcons brought home six runs on four hits and two Hawk errors. Zachary Gull (Rutland, Mass.) had a two-run shot over the left field wall, while four runs scored on two fielding errors committed.
Becker added another run in the third when Rivera hit an RBI single through the right side, plating Ben Mazzone (Bristol, Conn.) who reached base on a walk.
The fourth inning featured two more runs for the Falcons – both unearned. Fitchburg State added another run in the sixth on a Cordeau double to left field, and added two more in the top of the seventh to finalize the score at 11-2.
- Becker's Rivera led the Hawks offensively, going 2-for-3 with one RBI. Gonzalez, Bianco and Dewayne Thomas (Springfield, Mass.) accounted for the other two hits. Thomas recorded his first collegiate hit in the setback. Gonzalez swiped a base from the Falcons.
- Cordeau led the Falcons with a single and a double, one run, three RBI and a sacrifice bunt. The other nine hits were scattered amongst nine Fitchburg State Falcons.
- Fitchburg's relief pitcher Lucas Amico (Leominster, Mass.) earned the win in three innings pitched. He only allowed one Becker hit and no runs crossed the plate. He struck out five Becker batters.
- Becker's starter Michael Martinez (Raleigh, N.C.) was tabbed with the loss in four innings pitched. He allowed eight runs, but only two were earned. He struck out three batters in his appearance.
Fitchburg State will face Dickinson in a 9:30 a.m. game tomorrow at Chain of Lakes Stadium. The Hawks will rest tomorrow and be back in action the following day, matching up against Juniata at the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex in Auburndale, Fla.