LEICESTER, Mass. – The Becker College baseball team posted a season-high 19 hits, including four from sophomore third baseman Noah Rivera (New Bedford, Mass.), in an 11-10 loss to the Springfield College Pride in a Wednesday afternoon non-conference battle.
April 3, 2019
Score: Springfield 11, Becker 10
Records: Springfield (10-9) | Becker (7-12)
Springfield took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning on an RBI single from Noah Bleakley (Granby, Mass.). Becker took away the Pride's lead in the reverse side of the inning, as the Hawks scored on a Springfield throwing error and an RBI single from Tanyon Ventres (Holden, Mass.).
The Pride tied the score at 2-2 in the top of the third on another RBI from Bleakley. Then, a two-run homer from Kyle Godfrey (Wappingers Falls, N.Y.) and an RBI sacrifice fly from Jake McAneny (Lebanon, Conn.) put Springfield ahead 5-2 in the top of the fourth. Becker would score three runs in the bottom of the fourth on RBI doubles from Rivera and Michael McMahon (Canton, Mass.) and an RBI single from Daniel Diaz (Teaneck, N.J.) to knot the score at 5-5 heading into the fifth.
Springfield once again took the lead in the top of the fifth on a two-RBI single from Godfrey. Becker matched those two runs in the fifth and sixth innings on a sacrifice fly from Rivera and an RBI single from Kevin Santiago (New Bedford, Mass.).
The Pride took their fourth lead of the game in the top of the seventh on an RBI double from Matt Fraioli (Stamford, Conn.), and then added a four-run cushion in the top of the ninth when Conor Santoiann (Stormville, N.Y.) hit a two RBI double to make the score 11-7.
Becker attempted to rally in the bottom of the ninth as two runs scored on a two-RBI single from McMahon and a hit-by-pitch RBI for Evan Barrera (West Warwick, R.I.). However, the Hawks would fall short.
FOR THE HAWKS
- The Hawks posted a season-high 19 hits in the setback.
- Rivera batted 4-for-4 with two doubles, two runs, a sacrifice fly and two RBI.
- Both Barrera and Ventres had three hits with one run and one RBI each.
- McMahon registered two hits and a team-high three RBI.
- Becker's starting pitcher Jack Snyder (Shrewsbury, Mass.) pitched 4-1/3 innings and allowed seven runs on eight hits. He walked four and struck out four.
- Becker's relief pitcher Payton Musco (Litchfield, N.H.) was tabbed with the loss in two innings pitched. He allowed two runs on four hits, walked two and struck out one. Eric Trahan (Bristol, Conn.) saw 2-2/3 innings and allotted two runs on four hits, walked one and struck out one.
FOR THE PRIDE
- Springfield scored 11 runs on 16 hits and three Becker errors.
- Godfrey batted 3-for-4 with a home run, two runs and a game-high four RBI.
- McAnemy went 2-for-3 with two runs, an RBI and a walk.
- Bleakley batted 2-for-4 with one run and two RBI.
- Jack Cooney (Pittsfield, Mass.) and Fraioli each had two hits in the win.
- Cole Donovan (Holderness, N.H.) earned the win in relief, pitching four innings and giving up one run on five hits. He struck out two in the appearance.
The Hawks return to Rochdale Park on Saturday (Apr. 5), hosting Elms in a doubleheader starting at 12 noon.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS