LEICESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College field hockey team lost 2-1 to visiting Sewanee the University of the South on Friday evening at Alumni Field on the Becker College campus in Leicester.
September 14, 2018
Alumni Field, Leicester
Score: Sewanee 2, Becker 1
Records: Sewanee (3-1) | Becker (2-2)
Sewanee junior forward Ceara Caffrey (Scituate, Mass. / Brewster Academy) got the scoring started in the eighth minute of the game when she took a pass from 30 yards out on the right side from senior midfielder Hannah Tompkins (Wilmington, Del. / Westover School) and put it home for her seventh goal of the season as the Tigers went up 1-0.
In the 25th minute, a scramble in front of the Hawks' net allowed the Tigers to score their second goal of the contest when freshman forward Milly Etheridge (Asheville, N.C. / St. Mary's School) recovered her own shot off a Becker save and put it back in for her sixth goal of the season, putting Sewanee ahead 2-0.
Becker found the answer in the 31st minute when junior midfielder Katherine Bernier (Dudley, Mass. / Shepherd Hill Regional) took possession of the ball of a deflection from the Sewanee keeper and scored her second goal of the season, pulling the Hawks to within one, down 2-1. That score would hold up going into halftime.
In the second half, both teams made adjustments in an attempt to find an advantage.
With eight minutes left, Becker had a golden opportunity to tie it up when they were awarded three corners in rapid succession. But the Hawks could manage only one solid shot in those attempts, a shot on net by freshman forward Emily Iacovelli (Northbridge, Mass. / Blackstone Valley Technical) that was turned away by the Tigers' keeper. The visitors held on for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Sewanee held a narrow 16-15 advantage in total shots.
• Corner attempts were 10-8 in favor of the Tigers.
• Becker freshman goalkeeper Victoria Pilpel (Germantown, Md. / Seneca Valley) finished with six saves in net in the first half while freshman goalkeeper Baileigh Griese (Woodstock, N.Y. / Onteora) entered the game in the second half to record two stops. Their counterpart from Sewanee, sophomore goalkeeper Kadie Hicks (Pfafftown, N.C. / Salem Academy) ended the night with seven saves.
• Coming into the game, Caffrey was ranked tied for first in the nation in goals per game at 2.00. The junior finished with a game-high eight shots.
• Becker freshman midfielder Kylian Kelly (Shrewsbury, Mass. / Shrewsbury) finished the night with a team-high four shots, three of them coming on goal.
The Hawks are back in action on Tuesday evening when they travel to Anna Maria College for a 7:30 p.m. contest against their cross-country rivals, the AMCATS. The Tigers will remain in Massachusetts for another day when they play at Elms College on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics