Roberson Leads Men's Basketball In Win Over Mitchell

Roberson Leads Men's Basketball In Win Over Mitchell
LEICESTER, Mass. – Junior guard Tyler Roberson (Irvington, N.J.) scored 28 points on ten-of-fifteen shooting to lead host Becker College to a 66-65 win over visiting Mitchell College in NECC men's basketball action on Thursday night at the Leicester Gym. The Hawks of Becker are now 13-12 and 9-7 against conference opponents while the Mariners of Mitchell drop to 12-11 and 8-7 in the NECC standings.

Roberson hit the game tying and game winning baskets with less than two minutes in the game, accounting for all three of Becker's three-pointers for the evening. Sophomore forward Yahmad Rountree (Waterbury, Conn.) finished with 16 points with four rebounds and three steals. Freshman forward Rashaun Liggon (Elizabeth, N.J.) had ten points with a team high ten rebounds, making five of his six shots. With the win, Becker avenges a 79-71 overtime loss at Mitchell on January 29th.    

Junior forward Joshua Ford (Jersey City, N.J.), the NECC's second-leading scorer, carried Mitchell for much of the contest, totaling 24 points with 16 rebounds, six assists and four steals.  Sophomore guard Trace Lanson (Melbourne, Fla.) added nine points, all off three-pointers, while junior guard Alex Del Rio (New Britain, Conn.) contributed six points and five assists. The Mariners' bench outscored their Becker counterparts, 23-2.

After giving up a three to open the game, Becker went on a 9-2 run capped off with a three-point play from Roundtree 3:41 into the game. The Mariners soon tied the game at 9-9 off a jumper from Ford, only to watch Becker go on an 11-3 stretch sealed with a basket from Roberson, and the home team took a nine point lead. The Hawks' lead hit 13 off an alley oop pass from freshman guard Darius Sealy (Cambridge, Mass.) to Liggon with six minutes remaining in the first half and Becker leading 30-17 as the Hawk faithful exploded. After a Mitchell timeout, the Mariners rallied with three consecutive three-point baskets, bookended by two shots from Del Rio, cutting the deficit to four. Mitchell closed out the opening period with a 15-2 run to go into halftime tied 32-32. Becker's Roberson led the Hawks with 12 points at the break while Ford carried the Mariners with 14 points. Becker dominated with inside scoring, making 55 percent of their two-point shots while three-point shooting and rebounding carried Mitchell as the Mariners finished five of seven from behind the arc with a 20-11 edge in rebounding.

Momentum remained with Mitchell as the second half got underway, with the visitors taking their first lead since the opening minutes of the game. Both teams continued to trade the lead back and forth throughout the period. With 6:20 left in the game, Lanson hit a huge three-pointer from the corner to put the Mariners up 61-55, their largest lead of the game. Down by two with less than three minutes remaining, Sealy cut into the lane and hit a floater to tie it up at 61-61. Ford immediately answered with a jumper at the other end, but with 1:53 left, Roberson went inside for a layup to tie it at 63-63. With under a minute remaining, Becker got a huge stop, and Roberson would again answer the call. The junior guard drove into the paint, drawing contact as his layup fell. The three-point play gave the Hawks their largest lead of the period at 66-63. After two Ford free throws, Mitchell got the ball back with 11 seconds left and down one. Lanson couldn't get a three to fall at the buzzer, and the Hawks escaped with the win.

NECC playoff seeds will be announced on Monday.