NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Becker College men's lacrosse team posted a season-high 10 goals, including hat-tricks from Jack Schneider (Morrisville, Vt.) and Lewis Jaworski (Cambridge, Mass.), in an overtime loss to the Falcons of Albertus Magnus in Wednesday evening non-conference action.
April 3, 2019
Score: Albertus Magnus 11, Becker 10
Records: Albertus Magnus (2-5) | Becker (0-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Albertus Magnus' James May (Branford, Conn.) and Mykel Stinson (Bridgeport, Conn.) scored two for the hosts to start. Becker responded with four consecutive goals to take a 4-2 command heading into the second quarter. Schneider had two goals, while Matthew Guerin (East Longmeadow, Mass.) and Jaworski had one each.
- Albertus Magnus tied the score at 4-4 in the second quarter on a goal from Christopher Magnifico (Glastonbury, Conn.) and a man-up tally from May. Becker would take a 5-4 lead going into the half as Schneider completed the hat-trick with a goal on a helper from Jaworski.
- Albertus Magnus began the third quarter with a man-up goal from Andre Young (Stamford, Conn.) to tie the score at 5-5. Guerin would put the Hawks back ahead midway through the frame, but the Falcons took a 7-6 lead with goals from Magnifico and Stinson to end the third quarter.
- Becker came back with goals from Jaworski (his third of the game) and Mitchell Wilkins (Uxbridge, Mass.) to start the fourth, but Albertus would tie the score at 8-8 with a man-up goal from Young. Each team scored two more goals in the fourth quarter, which led to a 10-10 score, resulting in overtime.
- Terrell Yarbough (New Haven, Conn.) scored the overtime game-winning goal with 1:57 remaining on the clock on a pass from Kaj Djonne (Newtown, Conn.) for the win.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Both Schneider and Jaworski netted hat-tricks in the setback. Jaworski also posted a team-high eight ground balls and assisted two goals in the setback.
- Guerin finished the game with two goals, two assists and two ground balls.
- Cameron Sangster (Columbus, Ohio) logged a team-high three assists.
- Tyler Forest (Simi Valley, Calif.) registered two assists.
- Jeffrey Schaeffer (Ambler, Pa.) won a team-high six faceoffs.
- Ryan Clifford (Coventry, R.I.) recorded six ground balls and a team-high three caused turnovers.
- Becker's goalie Daniel Whittenburg (Eastford, Conn.) was tabbed with the loss in a 20-save performance.
FOR THE FALCONS
- Albertus Magnus held the edge in shots (54-38), faceoffs (16-7) and ground balls (35-30).
- May completed the night with a game-high four goals and three assists.
- Magnifico had two goals and three assists for the Falcons.
- Stinson and Young finished with two goals each.
- Stinson led the team with a game-high 14 ground balls.
- Andrew Luzzi (East Haven, Conn.) won 16-of-23 faceoffs.
- John Brunetti (West Haven, Conn.) earned his second win of the season in a 19-save performance.
The Hawks travel to Northern Vermont-Lyndon on Sunday (Apr. 7).
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS