CANTON, N.Y. –The Becker College women's ice hockey team dropped a Colonial Hockey Conference (CHC) matchup against the SUNY-Canton Roos by a score of 4-1 in Friday evening play.
February 15, 2019
Roos House Ice Arena
Score: SUNY-Canton 4, Becker 1
Records: SUNY-Canton (10-10-4, 5-5-1 CHC) | Becker (4-17-3, 1-9-1 CHC)
The first period was evenly contested, as each team fired off seven shots on net. All 14 shots on net were turned away by each team's respective goaltenders. The teams headed into the second period scoreless.
The second period featured two SUNY-Canton power-play goals to give them a 2-0 edge going into the final period. Kelly Leathem (Whitby, Ont.) scored the first on assists from Noelle Niemiec (Staten Island, N.Y.) and Jessica Pele (Estevan, SK). Sarah Kosnaski (Ottawa, Ont.) had the second on helpers from Leathem and Niemiec. The Roos outshot Becker 17-5 in the frame.
SUNY-Canton quickly scored two more goals to increase its lead to four. 24 seconds into the third period the Kosnaski and Peele setup Niemiec the third tally of the game. Just over a minute later, the Roos struck again as Hannah Brady (Jeannette, Pa.) put SUNY-Canton up 4-0. Becker spoiled the shutout 7:11 into the period when Bailey Coons (Casper, Wyo.) scored an unassisted goal on a power-play opportunity. The final score stood at 4-1, in favor of the Roos. Becker held a 13-11 advantage in shots in the final period.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Roos held a 35-25 edge in shots over the Hawks.
- SUNY-Canton won 59.7 percent of the faceoffs (46-77).
- The Roos went 2-for-9 (.222) on power-plays, while Becker went 1-for 7 (.143).
- SUNY-Canton's Brooke Susac (Bowmanville, Ont.) earned the win in net, stopping 24-of-25 shots on net.
- Becker's senior goaltender, Julia Johnson (Littleton, Colo.) was tabbed with the loss in a 31-save performance.
The Hawks and the Roos will matchup again tomorrow in Canton at 2 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS