Providence, R.I.-Junior forward Brittany DeGrooth (Westerly, RI) scored with just 1:38 left in regulation to give the Rhode Island College women's soccer team a thrilling, 2-1, victory against Becker at Alumni Field on Wednesday evening.
Rhode Island College 2, Becker 1
(Rhode Island College 4-6-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Rhode Island College dominated play in the first half with a commanding, 9-1, advantage in shots for the stanza.
• Junior midfielder Olivia Capraro (North Providence, RI) had three shots on goal in the first half for the Anchorwomen, but Becker junior goalkeeper Jordyn Martel (Chicopee, MA) was up to the task as she made six saves to keep the game scoreless.
• Becker got on the scoreboard less than two minutes into the second half when freshman midfielder Marissa Felter (Cheshire, MA) fed a pass to sophomore Kyra Teixeira (Old Lyme, CT). Teixeira then tallied her fourth goal of the season, lofting in a shot over the head of RIC freshman goalkeeper Carissa Gaglione (West Warwick, RI) to give the Hawks the 1-0 advantage.
• RIC answered in the 69th minute when junior defender Korie DelPrete (Foster, RI) had a shot that was saved by Martel. Freshman midfielder Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) collected the rebound and then sent a pass to senior midfielder Stephanie Ricci (Smithfield, RI) who then blasted in a shot from five yards out to knot the score at 1-1.
• With time running down in regulation, Ricci controlled the ball at midfield and sent a through ball to DeGrooth. DeGrooth then found the back of the net from 20 yards out for her fourth goal of the season, which propelled RIC to the 2-1 victory.
• Gaglione made one save for the hosts, while sophomore goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) picked up the win in net for the Anchorwomen, her first victory of the season. Martel notched seven saves for Becker in the setback.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC outshot Becker by a 19-5 margin and the Anchorwomen held a 4-2 advantage in corner kicks for the game.