LEICESTER, Mass. – Emmanuel's Mary Shelow (Miami, Fla. / Alonzo & Tracy Mourning) posted a .515 hitting percentage (19-33) to help the Saints to a 3-0 victory over the home team, Becker College, in a Tuesday evening non-conference tilt.
September 11, 2018
Score: Emmanuel 3, Becker 0
Records: Emmanuel (3-1) | Becker (4-2)
Emmanuel used a .227 hitting percentage to edge Becker 25-23 in the first set. The set saw four ties to start, until a Becker ball handling error put the Saints up for good. The Saints pushed away from the Hawks with Marissa Cataldo (Melrose, Mass. / Melrose) at the service. Becker got within one later in the set (23-22) on a bad Emmanuel set, but two kills from Shelow gave the Saints the first set win of the night.
The Saints bested the Hawks in the second and third sets by scores of 25-16 and 25-18, respectively, to come away with the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emmanuel held a 44-21 margin in kills.
- Shelow led all scoring with 19 kills and a .515 hitting percentage.
- Cataldo registered a double-double of 11 kills and 15 digs for the Saints, while also picking up an assist and service ace.
- Emmanuel's senior outside hitter, Kathearine Journeay (Hampton, N.H. / Exeter) dug up a game-high 21 balls and also collected a game-high five service aces.
- Becker's attack was led by Gillian Criddle (Earleville, Md. / Bohemia Manor) who logged eight kills.
- Criddle and Sofia Cullina (Deep River, Conn. / Valley Regional) each had three block assists for the Hawks.
- Junior setter Olivia McGuinness (Colchester, Conn. / Bacon Academy) assisted 16 Hawk kills and also registered two service aces on the evening.
- Morgan Gould (North Attleboro, Mass. / Tri-Country) was the Hawks' defensive leader with 20 digs.
Becker College heads to North Adams, Mass. on Saturday (Sept. 15) to face MCLA and Bay Path in matches starting at 1 p.m. Emmanuel resumes play on Thursday (Sept. 13), hosting Curry in a 7 p.m. matchup.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS