WALTHAM, Mass. – A seven-run seventh inning wasn't enough for the Hawks as the Judges beat Becker by a score of 17-13, scoring the 17 runs on 18 hits and five Becker errors, in Thursday evening non-conference action.
April 11, 2019
Score: Brandeis 17, Becker 13
Records: Brandeis (11-13) | Becker (9-16)
Brandeis took a quick 4-0 lead on four hits, including a home run from Mike Khoury (East Bridgewater, Mass.), and one Hawk fielding error in the bottom of the first inning. Becker broke through in the ensuing inning as Dewayne Thomas (Springfield, Mass.) hit an RBI triple, his first career triple.
Brandeis put up two more in the third and fourth innings, while the Hawks had one run cross the plate in the top of the fourth on a Michael Bianco (Manorville, N.Y.) solo shot over the centerfield wall. The Judges led 7-2 heading into the fifth.
The Hawks put up three runs in the top of the fifth on RBI singles from Evan Barrera (West Warwick, R.I.) and New Bedford, Mass. natives Noah Rivera and Kevin Santiago, to tighten their gap to three. However, the Judges came back with four runs on six hits in the flip side of the inning to set the score at 11-5.
One Becker run crossed in the top of the sixth, while three Judges runs came across in the bottom of the inning, advancing the score to 14-6.
A seven-run seventh inning brought Becker back into the game. The Hawks scored the seven runs on four hits and three Brandeis errors. Tanyon Ventres (Holden, Mass.), Willis Pollard (Worthington, Mass.), Coby Hussey (Claremont, N.H.), Ben Mazzone (Bristol, Conn.) and Rivera accounted for the five RBI in the inning. The Hawks trailed 14-13 heading into the eighth.
The Judges put up three insurance runs in the eighth on two hits and one Becker error, and then ended the game in the top of the ninth as two popups and a lineout to centerfield to hold off the Hawks.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Designated hitter, Barrera, finished with three hits and one RBI.
- Santiago went 2-for-4 from the plate with one run and one RBI.
- Bianco also had two hits on the evening and score two runs.
- Ventres and Daniel Diaz (Teaneck, N.J.) batted .500 on the day.
- Diaz and Mazzone reached base on balls three and two times, respectively.
- Rivera led the team with two RBI.
- Starting pitcher, Jack Snyder (Teaneck, N.J.) took the loss in 4-1/3 innings pitched. He allowed 11 runs, 10 earned, on 12 hits. He walked four batters, and struck out four at the dish.
FOR THE JUDGES
- Brandeis' 18 hits were piloted by Khoury who went 4-for-5 with two doubles, a home run, three runs and a game-high four RBI.
- Liam Kennedy (Norwell, Mass.) batted .500 (3-6) with one run and one RBI.
- Luke Hall (Georgetown, Mass.) went 2-for-3 with three runs, two RBI and two walks.
- Dan Frey (Ipswich, Mass.), Tommy Sand (South Windsor, Conn.) and Aneesh Avancha (Plantsville, Conn.) also had two hits each.
- Frey swiped two bases from the Hawks.
- Relief pitcher, Rik Jhamb (Shrewsbury, Mass.) earned his first win of the season in one inning pitched. He allowed two runs, both unearned, on two hits and struck out two batters.
The Hawks will travel to Southern Vermont on Saturday (Apr. 13) for a conference twinbill, beginning at 12 noon.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS