NEWPORT, R.I. – The Becker College football team fell to the Seahawks of Salve Regina by a score of 31-8 in Commonwealth Coast Football Conference action Saturday afternoon at Toppa Field.
October 6, 2018
Score: Salve Regina 31, Becker 8
Records: Salve Regina (3-3) | Becker (0-5)
Becker College took the first lead of the game when Jake McHugh (Lynnfield, Mass.) and Marc O'Neal (Dayton, Ohio) connected on a 44-yard pass into the end zone for the 6-0 lead. The touchdown pass capped an eight-play, 75-yard drive. McHugh then found the hands of Ryan Fernandez (Miami, Fla.) for the 8-0 gain with a good two-point conversion.
On the next drive, Salve Regina put up seven points on an 18-yard receiving touchdown from Joey Mauriello (Colts Neck, N.J.), and a good extra point kick from Andrew Verre (Wethersfield, Conn.).
The Seahawks took the lead mid-way through the second stanza on a 27-yard field goal from Verre. Salve Regina added another seven points on a Ronnie Martin (Foxboro, Mass.) five-yard rushing touchdown and another kick from Verre. The score settled at 17-8 with Salve Regina ahead at the half.
The Third quarter was the last scoring quarter of the game as Mauriello logged his second and third rushing touchdowns of the day on 43 and one yard runs, respectively. Verre completed the day going 4-for-4 on extra point attempts.
Neither team reached the board in the fourth, resulting in the 31-8 final score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Salve Regina's Mauriello carried the ball 14 times for 124 yards and two touchdowns; he also caught one pass for 18 yards and a touchdown.
- Jake Kelleher (Hopkinton, Mass.) completed 5-of-10 passes for 112 yards, a touchdown, and an interception. He also rushed nine times for 26 yards.
- McHugh started at quarterback for the Hawks and completed 16-of-30 passes for 200 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions.
- Becker freshman, O'Neal, registered a game-high five receptions for 126 yards and a touchdown.
- David Collins (Staten Island, N.Y.) handled the Hawks share of the carries in the backfield, rushing 20 times for 62 yards.
- Salve Regina sophomore Matt Sylvia (East Greenwich, R.I.) picked off two passes. He leads the league in interceptions with seven on the season.
- Becker's freshman Materrence Holloway (Tampa, Fla.) recorded one interception on the day.
- Michael Bianco (Manorville, N.Y.) was Becker's team-leader in tackles with nine (seven solo).
- Salve Regina outgained the Hawks 367 to 278 on the day.
- Salve Regina leads the all-time series, 2-0, and has outscored the Hawks by a combined score of 86-8 in those two games.
Becker returns home next Saturday (Oct. 13) when they host Nichols in a 12 p.m. conference game at Alumni Field.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Portions of this Release Courtesy of Salve Regina Sports Information