SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – The Becker football team wrapped up play on Saturday, as the 2018 Commonwealth Coast Football (CCF) regular season champions, Western New England, blanked the Hawks 52-0.
November 10, 2018
Golden Bear Stadium
Score: WNE 52, Becker 0
Records: WNE (8-2, 5-1 CCF) | Becker (1-9, 1-5 CCF)
After getting off to a slow start offensively, the Golden Bears put ten points on the board in the first quarter as junior Kieran Lombard (Dover, N.H.) connected on a 39-yard field goal and Alec Coleman (Arlington, Mass.) found the end zone late in the period with a 28-yard touchdown run.
Western New England broke the game open with four touchdowns in the second quarter to establish a 38-0 lead at halftime. A trio of Becker turnovers early in the quarter led to Coleman touchdown passes to Steven Fedorchak (Guilderland, N.Y.), Adam Razza (Watertown, Conn.), and senior Yianni Hilas (Merrick, N.Y.), respectively. With just under five minutes left in the half, Coleman and Fedorchak connected again for an eight-yard score.
The Golden Bears tacked on two more touchdowns in the third quarter, which came on runs by Coleman and junior Jamyre Soberanis (Dorchester, Mass.), to stretch the final margin to 52-0.
DOWN FOR A COUNT
- Coleman fueled the Western New England offense with 215 yards and six total touchdowns, as he completed 11-of-18 passes for 129 yards and four scores to go with 86 yards and two more touchdowns on the ground.
- Sophomore wide receivers Fedorchak and Razza were Coleman's top targets, as Fedorchak recorded six catches for 99 yards and two touchdowns, while Razza finished with four receptions for 81 yards and a score.
- Becker's quarterback, Jake McHugh (Lynnfield, Mass.) threw 5-for-17 with two interceptions. Jake Robidoux (Ware, Mass.) caught two, one of which was a 26-yard pass from McHugh.
- Becker sophomore running back David Collins (Staten Island, N.Y.) nearly reached the 100-yard mark on the ground for the Hawks, as he carried the ball 28 times for 97 yards.
- Becker senior linebacker Michael Bianco (Manorville, N.Y.) led the visitors defensively with a team-high six tackles.
- The Bears' defense was led by senior Matt Anastasi (Stoughton, Mass.), junior Jake Salera (Rehoboth, Mass.) and freshman Joshua Salem (Dracut, Mass.) who all totaled nine tackles.
- Becker's Matterence Holloway (Tampa, Fla.) logged three tackles and two pass breakups on defense, and also recorded 45 yards on four kickoff returns.
- The Golden Bear defense limited the Hawks to 179 yards of total offense (2.4 yards per play) and forced five turnovers.
- Time of Possession: Becker (36:47), Western New England (23:13)
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Release Courtesy of Western New England Sports Information