LEICESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College field hockey team won 14-0 over visiting Dean College on Tuesday afternoon at Alumni Field on the Becker campus of Leicester.
October 16, 2018
Alumni Field, Leicester
Score: Becker 14, Dean 0
Records: Becker (4-8, 2-1 NECC) | Dean (1-9, 0-4 NECC)
• Becker junior midfielder Lauren Niemann (Bay Shore, N.Y. / Bay Shore) got the scoring going in the third minute of the game, beating a defender and catching the Bulldogs off-guard from ten yards out on a shot that rolled past the keeper for her second goal of the year as the Hawks took a 1-0 lead.
• The Hawks struck again in the 12th minute when sophomore midfielder Alexis Keohane (North Brookfield, Mass. / Notre Dame Academy) took a ball from the right side from junior midfielder Amy Cooper (Monument, Colo. / Lewis Palmer) and scored her fourth goal of the year as Becker went ahead 2-0.
• In the 17th minute, it was Cooper scoring her third goal of the season off a pass-ahead from freshman midfielder Kylian Kelly (Shrewsbury, Mass. / Shrewsbury). That triggered an avalanche as Becker would pour it on with seven goals over the final 18:40 of the first half.
• Before the period was over, Cooper, sophomore midfielder Abigail Leahy (Charlton, Mass. / Shepherd Hill Regional) and freshman forward Jazmyne Rodriguez (Fitchburg, Mass. / Fitchburg) each scoring two goals each, while Kelly also scored. Becker was up 9-0 going into halftime.
• The Hawks didn't let up in the second half, as a penalty led to Kelly taking the stroke for her second goal of the season just 2:46 into the period.
• Leahy scored her fourth goal of the season in the 41st minute to complete her hat trick. This was followed by a goals from freshman forward Emily Iacovelli (Northbridge, Mass. / Blackstone Valley Technical) in the 42nd minute, Cooper again in the 45th to complete her hat trick and Keohane in the 50th minute.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Becker outshot Dean, 46-0, with a 30-0 edge in shots on goal.
• Becker took 16 penalty corners compared to none for Dean.
• The Hawks, who entered the day having scored 12 goals on the season, more than doubled that scoring total.
• Becker freshman goalkeeper Victoria Pilpel (Germantown, Md. / Seneca Valley) went the distance for the Hawks to record her second career shutout. Dean freshman goalkeeper Amari Dias (Brockton, Mass. / Brockton) finished with a career-high 16 saves.
• The 14 goals are the most Becker has scored in a single game the modern era.
The Hawks are back on the field on Thursday when they travel to Rivier for a 5:00 p.m. game. The Bulldogs will look to bounce back at Regis College on Thursday at 7:00 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics