WORCESTER, Mass. – The No. 12 University of New England (UNE) Nor'Easters went ahead early and poured in four third period goals to blast past the Hawks of Becker College in Friday evening Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action.
January 18, 2019
Worcester Ice Center
Score: UNE 8, Becker 2
Records: UNE (12-4-1, 6-3-0 CCC) | Becker (2-14-1, 1-7-1 CCC)
UNE scored two goals in a five minute span to begin the game, as Brett Mecrones (Medford, Mass.), Tyler Seltenreich (Littleton, Colo.) and Brady Fleurent (Biddeford, Maine) each logged a goal. Becker reached the board 7:35 into the game when junior defenseman Austin Siering (Dover, N.H.) scored his first collegiate goal, low right side, with help from Zachary Bettmeng (Sioux Falls, S.D.) and Jason Diamond (Lakeville, Conn.).
The lone goal of the second period came from Fleurent (short-handed goal). Becker turned the puck over in the neutral zone which led to a breakaway and scoring opportunity for Fleurent's second score of the game. The Nor'Easters led 4-1 at the end of the second.
Becker's senior captain, Corey Schafer (Johnstown, Pa.) gave the Hawks hope early in the third period when he scored an unassisted power-play goal five minutes in. However, the Hawks were unable to turn the game around, and they gave up four UNE power-play goals in the last five minutes of the game to end the game with a score of 8-2. The four goals in the third were scored by Ryan Bloom (Northville, Mich.), Mercrones (his second of the night), Ryan Burr (Toms River, N.J.), and Tucker Ross (Ashburn, Va.).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Nor'Easters outshot the Hawks, 69-21 throughout the contest.
- UNE's Mercones and Fleurent each finished the game with two goals apiece.
- Liam Darcy (Alfred, Maine) recorded a game-high three assists, while Brendan Donohue (New Hope, Pa.) and Dimitris Jones (Seattle, Wash.) each assisted two for the Nor'Easters.
- Bloom registered one goal and one assist in the win.
- UNE capitalized on 4-of-11 (.364) power-play opportunities, while the Hawks went 1-for-4 (.250).
- UNE served 10 penalty minutes on five infractions, while Becker saw 41 minutes in the box on 11 infractions.
- Ben Churchfield (Newcastle, England) earned his eighth win in net, stopping 19-of-21 shots on net.
- Cody Foster (Saugus, Calif.) suffered the loss in a 61-save performance for the Blue and Gray.
UNE will host the Hawks at Harold Alfond Forum tomorrow afternoon at 3 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS