WORCESTER – Lancers freshman Kevin Drevitch (Oxford, N.J.) scored two goals in his first career college game for Worcester State as the Lancers started the 2019-20 season with a 4-2 win over the Becker Hawks on Friday night in the season opener for both teams.
November 1, 2019
Worcester Ice Center
Score: Worcester State 4 – Becker 2
Records: The Becker College Hawks 0-1 | The Worcester State University Lancers 1-0
Prior to the game, the Hawks celebrated the careers of seniors Trey McMillen (Grapevine, Texas), captain Alex Kielczewski (Grand Prairie, Texas), Tyler Forest (Simi Valley, Calif.), Cody Foster (Saugus, Calif.), and Grant Martens (Bloomington, Minn.).
A second period goal by Lancers sophomore Nick Pennucci (Worcester, Mass.) made the difference in the game, breaking a 2-2 tie late in the middle period.
In the offensive zone, Lancers freshman Brandon Ronan (Saugus, Mass.) and Pennucci won a puck battle along the half wall. Ronan slid a pass to Pennucci, who gathered speed in the slot and fired a wrist shot past the glove side of Martens, giving the Lancers a 3-2 lead.
An empty net goal by Ronan at 18:23 in the third period added an insurance goal for the Lancers on the way to their 4-2 win.
Drevitch started the scoring with just over five minutes remaining in the first. Worcester State junior captain Matthew Manning (Novi, Mich.) caused a giveaway in the Hawks zone and found Drevitch in the slot, who snapped a one-timer past the blocker of Martens for a 1-0 lead.
Hawks junior Romain Wild (Mex, Switzerland) claimed the first goal for Becker this season in the second period.
Wild and McMillen broke out of the Hawks defensive zone 2-on-2 to create the goal. Coming over the blue line, Wild dropped a pass to McMillen, who stickhandled around one Lancer defender and toe dragged past another.
McMillen saucered a backhand pass to Wild on the weak side post and Wild slammed home a virtual empty netter, tying the game at 1-1.
Drevitch put the Lancers back on top at 12:04 with his second of the game, giving the Lancers a 2-1 lead.
The Hawks pulled back just 1:29 later on a goal by junior Shawn Peckham (Plymouth, Mass.), his first of the season, tying the game at 2-2.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Wild finished with a two-point night, assisting on Peckham's tying goal in the second period.
- Martens made 32 saves in his season debut but falls to 0-1 after surrendering three goals.
- Freshman Andrew Dreher (New York, N.Y.) was the game's most successful player at the faceoff dot, finishing the night with 12 wins in 16 faceoffs.
FOR THE LANCERS
- Drevitch and Manning connected on the first two Lancer goals on the night with Manning assisting both times on the goals.
- Sophomore Ryan Hoff (Brockton, Mass.) entered the game in the second period and made 13 saves while allowing no goals and picking up the win to go to 1-0.
The Hawks are back tomorrow with a 6:00 p.m. puck drop against Assumption College at Buffone Arena. The Lancers return to play tomorrow with a 4:00 p.m. game at Saint Anselm's.