WORCESTER – Nor'easters sophomore Brent Hill (Lunenburg, Mass.) scored a pair of goals as the No. 11 University of New England Nor'easters scored two goals in each period on their way to a 6-1 win over the Becker Hawks on Friday night in the Commonwealth Coast Conference opening game for both sides.
November 8, 2019
Worcester Ice Center
Score: UNE 6 – Becker 1
Records: The Becker College Hawks 1-2-0 (0-1-0 CCC) | The University of New England Nor'easters 1-1-0 (1-0-0 CCC)
Hill got the Nor'easters out in front 1-0 in the middle of the first period at 9:31.
After UNE broke out of their zone, the Nor'easters quickly developed a 3-on-2. Senior Ryan Bloom (Northville, Mich.) found Hill driving toward the net and he beat Hawks senior goalie Cody Foster (Saugus, Calif.) on the glove side to give UNE the lead.
Hill scored his second of the night in the second period at 10:55, connecting with Bloom and freshman Jake Fuss (Fairfield, Conn.).
The Hawks cleared their defensive zone, but UNE was quick to get the puck back in. Fuss chipped the puck off the boards near center ice, which was advanced by Bloom to Hill as he crossed over the blue line.
Hill made a move past a Becker defender and finished off the goal on the backhand to give UNE a 3-1 lead.
The Hawks goal at the end of the first period by sophomore Jason Diamond (Lakeville, Conn.) pulled the Hawks to a 2-1 deficit.
Following an icing, Diamond had two shots from the slot and followed his own rebound, firing it past Nor'easters junior goalie Ben Churchfield (Newcastle, England) to pull the Hawks within one after the opening 20 minutes.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Diamond's goal was the second of the season and gives him a goal in two straight games.
- Junior Phillip Garcia (Brooklyn, N.Y.) and freshman Luke James (Moon Township, Pa.) assisted on Diamond's goal.
- Foster finished with 58 saves on the night, the third-highest save total of his career.
FOR THE NOR'EASTERS
- Hill's two-goal game is the first multi-goal game for him in his career.
- Bloom finished with a three-point night scoring once and assisting on two UNE goals.
- Junior Brett Mecrones (Medford, Mass.) added two assists.
- Churchfield finished the night with 18 saves and moves to 1-1-0 with the win
The Hawks and Nor'easters finish off a home-and-home series as UNE hosts Becker in conference play at 7:00 p.m.