Eagles Stymie Men's Lacrosse In Regular Season Finale

Eagles Stymie Men's Lacrosse In Regular Season Finale

NASHUA, N.H. -Backed by a stingy team defense and terrific goalkeeping from senior James Bushey (Hamden, Conn.), the Eagles shut down Becker, 7-1 Saturday in the NECC and regular season finale for both clubs.

The teams will tangle again on Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. The winner advances to Saturday's NECC title game. In Wednesday's second semifinal, top seed Regis (5-9, 4-0 NECC) hosts fourth-seed Mitchell (2-9, 1-3 NECC).

Should Mitchell pull off a Wednesday upset, the winner of the Eagles-Hawks contest would host the title game on Saturday.


Daniel Webster has never won a post-season game in five attempts (four conference tourney and one ECAC appearances).


DWC got scoring balance in the win as six different goal scorers found the back of the net on a day when leading scorer Tre Mason was held without a point. Gavin Abbott scored twice with two assists, while Sean Donohue and Brandon Beard had a goal and assist each. Ryan McCarthy, Chris Shanahan and Brian Visco rounded out the scoring.


Matty Ho pulled in six ground balls to lead the winners while Matt Capozzi was 6 of 9 in the faceoff circle.


Bushey, despite making only nine saves in the win, made the most of the them including a pair of point blank stops in the first and fourth quarters and another pair of eye-grabbing knock downs including the save of the day, a wicked seeing-eye ball through a screen off the stick of Becker's Avyay Chaganty (Bridgewater, N.J.) midway through the second quarter with DWC clinging to a 2-0 lead.


Daniel Johnson (Plymouth, Mass.) picked up the single goal for Becker in the second quarter. Willard McMillen made 17 saves for the Hawks while Bryan Parsons picked up eight ground balls.


DWC led 1-0 after one on Abbott's score 2:26 into the period and rattled off four straight in the second with scores from Visco, Shanahan, Abbott and McCarthy for a 5-0 game before Johnson's score with 2:54 left put Becker on the board.


After a scoreless third, Beard made it 6-1 with 12:16 left in the fourth and Donahue closed it out with 7:02 to go.