LEICESTER, Mass. --- Junior forward Sarah Ware (Oakham, Mass. / Quabbin Regional) scored a career-high 21 points as the Becker College women's basketball team prevailed 53-49 over visiting Eastern Nazarene College in New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) action on Tuesday evening at the Leicester Gymnasium on the Becker campus in Leicester.
February 5, 2019
Leicester Gymnasium, Leicester
Score: Becker 53, Eastern Nazarene 49
Records: Becker (15-6, 12-2 NECC) | Eastern Nazarene (13-7, 8-5 NECC)
FOR THE HAWKS
• Ware shot 8-of-10 from the floor and collected four steals, three rebounds and two assists. She virtually carried the Hawks in a low-scoring first half with a team-high 12 points.
• Junior guard Cassidy Harrison (Foxborough, Mass. / Foxborough) finished with 11 points and four steals while shooting a perfect 7-of-7 from the free throw line.
• Senior forward Adrianna Dowdy (East Haven, Conn. / Hill Regional Career) scored five points, pulled down a game-high 11 boards and tallied one block.
• Senior forward Ciara McKissick (Charlton, Mass. / Shepherd Hill Regional) filled the stat-line with eight points, seven rebounds, four assists and four steals.
• Junior guard Kelsey Maynard (Millville, Mass. / Tri-County Vocational) came off the bench to score six points and dish out three assists in just 14 minutes.
• Collectively, the Hawks forced 21 turnovers off 15 steals, and shot 16-of-18 from the line.
FOR THE LIONS
• Junior forward Kyra Fleharty (Lewistown, Mont. / Fergus) led Eastern Nazarene with 10 points, seven rebounds and three blocks.
• Junior guard Courtney Barba (Pismo Beach, Calif. / Ernest Righetti) scored 10 points with four rebounds, shooting 3-of-6 from the floor.
• Senior guard Alyssa Cosio (Santa Barbara, Calif. / Santa Barbara) scored five points with seven rebounds.
• As a team, the Lions outrebounded the Hawks, 39-27.
• The game was hotly contested throughout, with Becker going into halftime clinging to a 25-21 lead.
• The Hawks finally opened a small cushion late in the fourth quarter when two free throws from Harrison put them up 50-44 with 3:28 left. The Lions attempted to rally, however, pulling to within two off a jumper and a pair of free throws with 2:55 to go. Becker went to their hot hand, as Ware drove into the paint and finished to get the lead back to four. The Hawks got two straight defensive stops to put Eastern Nazarene in a tough situation with less than a minute left. The Lions hit one free throw, but would not score again as a critical lane violation off a free throw attempt with eight seconds left effectively iced it.
• With the victory, Becker now controls their own destiny for the number one seed in the upcoming NECC Championship Tournament.
The Hawks are back on the court on Thursday when they travel to Dean College for a 7:00 p.m. game. The Lions will host Southern Vermont College in their next contest, that also coming on Thursday at 7:00 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics