GORHAM, Maine – The University of Southern Maine Huskies shutout the Becker women's ice hockey team by a score of 4-0 in Saturday afternoon non-conference action at Southern Maine's Ice Arena.
January 12, 2019
USM Ice Arena
Score: Southern Maine 4, Becker 0
Records: Southern Maine (6-7-4) | Becker (1-11-3)
Southern Maine's Katie Nolan (Dorchester, Mass.) gave the Huskies their first goal of the game 7:16 into the first period on helpers from Amanda Piknick (Hyannis, Mass.) and Brianna Doty (Lyndonville, Vt.). Southern Maine doubled their lead four minutes later when Bridget Fagan (Millis, Mass.) found the back of the net on the Huskies' first power-play opportunity of the game. Mikayla Butkus (Essex Junction, Vt.) was awarded the assist. Southern Maine held a 15-6 advantage in shots in the first period.
Fagan scored her second goal of the game midway through the second period as Shannon Colbert (Manomet, Mass.) and Rylie Binette (Milan, N.H.) fed her the puck. Binette scored one of her own four and a half minutes later. Colbert picked up her second assist of the game while Jensen Hamblett (Colchester, Vt.) was the second assist on Binette's goal. The Huskies held a 10-9 edge in shots during the second frame.
Becker outshot the Huskies 11-10 in the final frame, but were unable to score as Whitney Padgett (Eden Prairie, Minn.) turned away all shots and earned the shutout in net for Southern Maine.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Southern Maine held a 35-26 advantage in shots.
- Fagan, Colbert and Binette finished the game with two points apiece. Fagan had two goals, Colbert logged two assists and Binette registered a goal and an assist in the win.
- Southern Maine went 1-for-5 (.200) on power-play opportunities, while Becker was unable to score on four power-play occasions.
- Padgett took the shutout win in net, stopping all 26 shots on net.
- Julia Johnson (Littleton, Colo.) suffered the loss in goal, as she made 31 stops.
The Hawks return home on Tuesday (Jan. 15) and will host Suffolk in a 7:05 p.m. matchup at the Worcester Ice Center.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS