LEICESTER, Mass. ---- The Becker College women's lacrosse team triumphed 18-5 over visiting Rivier University on Wednesday afternoon at Alumni Field in Leicester. With the victory, the Hawks are now 3-0 to start the season for the first time in program history.
March 20, 2019
Alumni Field, Leicester, Mass.
Score: Becker 18, Rivier 5
Records: Hawks of Becker 3-0|Raiders of Rivier 0-4
• Becker sophomore attacker Arianna Calouro (East Providence, R.I. / East Providence) scored just 47 seconds into the game, assisted by freshman attacker Julia Ravenelle (Barrington, N.H. / Oyster River).
• Rivier senior midfielder Ashley Leal (Tyngsboro, Mass. / Tyngsboro) tied the game up at the 1:08 mark, assisted by senior midfielder Marin Owens (Brookline, N.H. / Hollis-Brookline).
• Becker junior midfielder Samantha Carter (Boothbay Harbor, Maine / Boothbay Region) helped the Hawks retake the lead just 13 seconds later, as she put one in the back of the net to make it 2-1.
• Becker junior midfielder Cassandra Nelson (Exeter, N.H. / Exeter) would score the first of five goals on the day with 27:18 to go in the first half, as the Hawks increased their lead to 3-1.
• Just 50 seconds later, it would be Calouro scoring her second goal of the game, once again assisted by Ravenelle as Becker went up 4-1.
• With 21:46 to go in the first, Nelson scored her second unassisted goal of the game, increasing the Hawk lead to 5-1.
• 41 ticks later, Ravenelle scored her first goal of the game to boost the lead to five.
• Rivier attempted to fight back, as Owens scored with 19:49 left in the first, assisted by junior midfielder Amanda Barton (Pelham, N.H. / Pelham).
• Becker would score the next seven goals of the game, beginning with a score by Calouro assisted from sophomore defender Katherine Capobianco (North Andover, Mass. / North Andover) at 16:58.
• At 15:02, Becker scored while down a player when freshman attacker Clare Conway (Billerica, Mass. / Billerica Memorial), the reigning NECC Player of the Week, scored her first goal of the game, assisted by freshman defender Kylian Kelly (Shrewsbury, Mass. / Shrewsbury).
• With 13:20 remaining, Nelson scored to make it 9-2 Becker, assisted by Conway.
• Conway's second goal came at 12:44, assisted by Calouro.
• Nelson score unassisted at 11:25, followed by another goal from Conway at 10:43 – that coming off an assist by Kelly.
• Finally, Nelson scored with a player down at 9:06, giving Becker a commanding 13-2 lead and a running clock.
• Rivier junior attacker Dzenana Omerovic (Revere, Mass. / Revere) pulled the Raiders to within ten at 6:32 left, assisted by Owens.
• Then at 4:19, Owens cut the lead to nine, assisted by Barton.
• Becker regained the running clock at 3:18 remaining in the first as sophomore defender Rebecca Maloy (Vergennes, Vt. / Vergennes Union) scored unassisted for her first career goal to make it 14-4.
• Then with one second before intermission, Ravenelle scored her second goal of the game, assisted by Nelson. Becker went into halftime leading 15-4.
• Early in the second half, Rivier attempted to climb back into it as Owens completed her hat trick with her third goal of the game to cut the lead to ten.
• That was as close as the Raiders would come, as the Hawks scored the last three goals of the game. Two of those came unassisted from Conway while the third was credited to Carter.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Becker senior goalkeeper Nikolle Storey (Cumberland, Maine / Kents Hill) picked up the win with three saves between the pipes in 45 minutes.
• Freshman goalkeeper Kim Wood (Wakefield, Mass. / Wakefield) took the loss for the Raiders with five saves in 15 minutes.
• Nelson and Conway each scored five goals with an assist for Becker.
The Hawks are back on the field on Saturday when they play host to MCLA at 2:30 p.m. The Raiders host Colby Sawyer on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics