BUZZARDS BAY, Mass. – Hawks senior Kyra Teixeira (Old Lyme, Conn.) scored the game's only goal while freshman Olivia Sherwood (Southington, Conn.) continued her freshman program-record shutout streak, resulting in a Becker Hawks 1-0 win over the Mass Maritime Buccaneers on Wednesday evening.
October 8, 2019
Clean Harbors Stadium
Score: Becker 1 – Mass. Maritime 0
Records: The Becker College Hawks 7-5-2 | The Massachusetts Maritime Academy Buccaneers 1-10
The match's only tally came in the fifth minute with Teixeira and sophomore Kristen Beidleman (Holliston, Mass.) combined to grab a 1-0 lead.
The goal originated in the middle third of the field when sophomore Rebecca Beringer (Waterville, Maine) made a pass to Beidleman, who made a turn toward goal, just past midfield.
Beidleman advanced forward to her right, sliding a pass across her body and through the middle of the field to Teixeira.
Teixeira allowed the ball to run forward, into the box, and with a left-footed strike 10 yards from goal, Teixeira gave Becker a 1-0 lead on her 13th goal of the season.
Defensively, the Hawks locked down the Bucs, allowing just two total shots with one on goal.
That one chance came off the foot of freshman Julia Quindley (Plymouth, Mass.) in the 84th minute.
Quindley forced a turnover by the Hawks backline and moved in toward goal. Becker's defense recovered rapidly, forcing Quindley to take a shot from the top right corner of the penalty area.
The shot forced a save by Sherwood, who spilled a rebound in front, but Hawks freshman Shannon O'Toole (Hamilton, Mass.) was there to clear the rebound.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Sherwood moves to 5-4-2 and is one of two goalies in program history to ever have four consecutive shutout victories (Jordyn Martel, 2017)
- Officially, Sherwood hasn't been scored on since Sept. 24 at MCLA, a streak that spans 411:25.
- Teixeira has scored at least one goal in the Hawks last five matches.
- Beidleman's assist gives her five on the season, matching the team-high with Teixeira and junior Shannon Kelley (Bellingham, Mass.)
- Becker is 4-0-1 in their last five games and 3-0-0 in October while outscoring opponents 15-0 in the three October games.
FOR THE BUCS
- Freshman Paige Anderson (Nantucket, Mass.) made 10 saves on the night but falls to 1-10 with the loss. Anderson now has at least 10 saves in her last three matches.
The Hawks stay on the road as they travel to New England College for a conference match on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. The Bucs go back into conference play, hosting Fitchburg State on Saturday at Clean Harbors Stadium at noon.