LEICESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College women's volleyball team lost in three sets to visiting Eastern Nazarene College on Saturday at the Leicester Gymnasium on the Becker campus in Leicester. Set scores were 25-10, 25-11, 25-23 in favor of the Lions. It was the New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) opener for the Hawks.
September 29, 2018
Leicester Gymnasium, Leicester
Score: Eastern Nazarene 3, Becker 0 (25-10, 25-11, 25-23)
Records: Eastern Nazarene (10-3, 2-0 NECC) | Becker (5-5, 0-1 NECC)
After Becker tied up the first set at 8-8 off the serve of senior middle blocker Kayla Dupree (North Bergen, N.J. / Bronx High School of Science), Eastern Nazarene took control, winning 15 of the next 16 points and putting the set out of reach.
In a display mirroring the opening set, the Hawks once again rallied from an early deficit in the second game, pulling to within one with the Lions leading, 11-10. And once again, the Lions pulled away in dominant fashion, winning 14 of the next 15 rallies to close out the game.
The third set was hotly contested throughout. Every time Eastern Nazarene threatened to pull away, Becker rallied. The Hawks actually took the lead late in the game, going up 23-22. But the Lions once again closed out, with freshman outside hitter Ruth Aguilar (Tegucigalpa, Honduras/International School Tegucigalpa) going up for the kill on match point.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Aguilar, last week's NECC Rookie of the Week, led all players with 12 kills. The freshman also filled the stat line with six service aces, 11 set assists, 12 digs and three block assists to lead Eastern Nazarene.
• Becker junior middle blocker Gillian Criddle (Earleville, Md. / Bohemia Manor) led the Hawks with six kills and a .136 hitting percentage. Senior outside hitter Veronica Patella-Quinones (Tampa, Fla. / Lake Mary) had her best performance of the season with four kills, three service aces and 11 digs.
• Eastern Nazarene freshman middle hitter Halle Julian (Whitman, Mass./Whitman-Hanson) hit a team-best .467 for the Lions with seven kills and three block assists. Sophomore libero McKenzie Walling (Rock Hill, S.C./Rock Hill) led the defense for the Lions with 21 digs and three aces. Sophomore setter Samantha Caldwell (Quincy, Mass./North Quincy) finished with 20 set assists.
• Becker junior outside hitter Sofia Cullina (Deep River, Conn. / Valley Regional) finished with a team-best 20 digs with four kills.
• Facing a staunch Eastern Nazarene defense, Becker had their worst hitting percentage of the season at -.008. It was the first time the Hawks have finished a match in negative territory this year.
• It was the first-ever NECC match between Becker and Eastern Nazarene, as the Lions are in their first season of competition in the league.
The Hawks are back on the court in NECC action when they travel to Elms College on Tuesday for a 6:00 p.m. match. The Lions host Rivier College in their next contest, that coming on Thursday evening at 7:00 p.m.
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics